Sunday 20 November 2011

Frustration Stations!!!

Does anyone else get frustrated with the latest "don't eat this, its bad for you" crap? or the new fad supposed to help you lose weight? or perhaps the newest "super foods"......I DO!!!!

Ive just read an article on grains, and why they are so bad!!! coming from a personal trainer, trying to teach people how to lose weight. Now I'm a personal trainer, and i have only ever guided people in their diets, and i never told anyone to completely remove an entire food group from their diets. I never gave 'professional recommendations', or 'prescribed' anything (as she does later in her article)! I'm afraid it is not in my scope of practice!!! I'm so mad! anyhow, the three things she cites (referring to someone else's article, that is now inaccessible) are that 'grains are so bad because of ': 1) Leptin resistance, 2) effects of phytates, and 3)'quite a bit more'.

Interesting. Now I'm no professional, but what i have read, leptin resistance (and obesity) has a whole load more to do with fructose over consumption. Not only that, but these handy little hormones, are said to regulate appetite. They do so by acting as a satiety signal after a high calorific meal. Now please educate me here, but is this where the grain thing comes in? because it is energy dense? so is sugar. and fat. and alcohol. and protein. I think this girl is a twit! Phytates, are easily reduced, and not all bad. and as for the 'quite a bit more' who knows?

Granted there are many people out there who have troubles with grain based foods. I cant touch white bread, it makes for the most incredible stomach pain and two days of bloating, without fail. Not only that it looks disgusting to me!! I would argue that it is not the grain that is bad for you, its the preparation. Does anyone else see the irony in having your white bread with added nutrients?? You are paying for someone to strip your grain of all nutritional quality, then paying another to make it for you. Of course adding in some laboratory manufactured additives to make it 'better for you'. Hmmmm

Don't give me this crap that cows milk will kill you, only eat raw food, grains are bad for you, eat goji berries standing on your head and you will lose 10 kg shit!!. It annoys me when even the people that are trying to help you- are just adding to the myths, and hype, and misinformation out there.

i guess common sense isn't so common any more!! Rant over!

No comments:

Post a Comment