Sunday 13 November 2011

Cakes, Cakes, Cakes

OK so i am busting to add my cakes to the blog!!.....i love making special occasion cakes!! they are so fun, deliciously naughty, and an awesome creative outlet. I'm trying to teach the kids that it is OK to indulge, once in a while, i mean we live in the real world after all! I'm hardly going to send them off to birthday parties with a chicken and avocado on rye am I? so lets bring on the food colorings, the fat, the sugar, the white flours.... THE WORKS!!! 

Father's Day 2011
The motor cross track!
My first shocking attempt at fondant!! Ergh, damn good thing the colors were marbled to cover up the mistakes a little!! It was a mocha cake....a little dry too.....not that he noticed lol.

The Twins turn 7, Sept. 2011!!
Anthea's 7th Birthday cake:
Penguin mania- this was the cake she took to school for her class :)
I cheated here and used the left over gum paste from the water part of the motor cross track cake. Was a little afraid to try fondant again.

Gabriella's 7th Birthday cake:
Rapunzel, again, for her and her classmates (they are in separate classes). Lots of fun using my new frill tools. which i broke. lol

this year we just had a small family birthday party and these were Gaby and Anthea's cakes. I was under strict instructions, one was to be pink with blue, and vice versa. lol

and finally, our Anniversary Cake. October 2011
I didn't get as much time as i would have liked on this cake. but it was fabulous! and i can now say after 2 epic failures at fondant....i have mastered it. I threw out all the advice, tips and recipes i found, and did it by 'feel'. Turned out wonderfully. I actually used fresh milled wheat in this cake too. it was so moist and yummy.....just saying :)

Stay tuned for my son Baxter's 2nd birthday cake!! It is going to be a book. Open, with one 'page' featuring the letter 'A' and an aeroplane.The other page, featuring the letter 'B' and a bird (he has a pet bird). So a holistic little snapshot  of my boy at 2 years old (and him learning his letters/ colors etc) and also features his favorite things, books, planes, and birds. I'm working on how i can make this a little more 3D.....i think this one will be my best yet. Cant wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment